Project management is one of the most crucial operations as it revolves around a number of interrelated and independent tasks. While working on a project, project managers and IT experts face a number of problems that can be easily ignored if they are not careful about them from the very beginning.
- The first mistake in project management is allocating or assigning responsibility to a person who is not competent for the task. Not everyone is perfect for every job. If you assign critical responsibility to a person with no competency and expertise, you are sure to face problems.
- Lack of coordination is another mistake in project management. A successful project will need to be a synchronized and harmonious effort from everyone involved. Hence, everyone should be well-informed about their roles and dependence in the project.
- Another mistake in project management is not developing engagement and commitment in the top level management. If a project doesn’t have any clear head, things are destined to get distracted. The same is true when people try to run multiple projects at once.
- In addition, lack of communication is a mistake in project management. Without proper communication, people can’t coordinate their assignments or share their progress and deadlines. As a result the progress of the project gets hampered.
- Lack of flexibility and scope of adaptation to changes are two of the greatest mistakes in project management. To be honest, a project is anything but consistent. There will be numerous changes in a project while it is being implemented. If you do not consider these in advance and make room for them, you will surely have problems in completing the project.
- Using an aggressive or short deadline is another common mistake that project managers make. Although they will need a strict deadline, it still has to be realistic and achievable. Without a realistic deadline, people will get into more trouble and make more mistakes.
- Micromanagement and lack of control is also considered a big trap in project management. You will need to make sure that there is some level of autonomy and also some control mechanism in a project if you want a smooth operation.
Keep these mistakes in mind when you plan for your next project.